Sunday, March 27, 2011

Alberto Celani meets Bradley Wiggins in pre-season

Bradley Wiggins: Cycling is “cool” in the Uk now, and for the Olympics the party begins.

Interview by Alberto Celani (Twitter albertocelani)

How to fall in love for a sport making it “cool”: Sky Ride. Bradley Wiggins explains us his experience of champion both as track cyclist and road. Italy is suffering from troubles of pollution and this week Milano is experiencing some troubles of plollution level registered in the city. Can a Sky Ride be the great response to cars in the streets for a Sunday? Can a Sky Ride be the way to make people more involved into commuting by bike? Bradley analisys about how track experience can improve class in cyclists during the pre season is interesting and really capturing.

D.Sometimes pre-season is the moment of the year in wich a cyclist decide what type of races he will do during the season. Where your supporter will see you racing next year?

R.I will do a more traditional build up tp the Tour de France with Qatar, Paris Nice and the classics - I am not doing the giro this year as that didn't work for e last year and the course is even harder!

D.How do you prepare the next season? Wich is the strategy to be at the top for your races to come?

RThis year I will be doing similar preparation to what I have done most of my career - racing and training for the track through winter - the base track cycling gives me compliments perfectly my road riding so I will be back on the track for the World Cup in Manchester in February - which I am really looking forward to.

D.How do you manage stress and lack of concentration due do fatigue during a TT stage in a main Tour?

R.I dont really suffer from stress or lack of concentration. You can only do your best and I always give it 100% - it is only bike racing at the end of the day!

D.How can an amateur train well during pre seasons without suffering from over-training? Is still the best way to have a good pedalling to ride with a single speed fixie bike in winter?

R.As I said I still think working on the track over the winter compliments my road riding really well. As an amateur just enjoy your bike riding - as long as you are getting the hours in and having fun you should be fine.

D.Atleticaweek is a magazine of Athletics mainly, even if we follow cycling a lot lately. Do you follow Athletics on tv? You are a true symbol for UK Cycling, do you know the other UK Athletes in other fields?

R.I know some of them from the Olympics and always support the UK team in other sports. I am quite patriotic so I like to follow other sports if I can.

D.Are you a runner in winter period? Are you used to run during off season?

R.No! Just bike riding for me!

D.Have you ever thought to be a potential Triathlete like many colleague of yours?

R.No - I have really only ever done track and road cycling - that's what I love and what I am good at

D.Olympics are The Dream for any Athlete, the dream came true 2 times for you, 2004 and 2008. What does it mean to win 3 gold medals at one Game and being the first British to do that?

RIt's what I dreamt of when I was a kid and was all I wanted to achieve. Winning in Athens was probably the greatest sporting achievement of my life - bigger than the Tour de France for sure. I am very proud of my olympic achievements.

DTrack cycling gave to the UK a lot of medals and it has a great tradition. Do you think that the best classy riders into the "gruppo" are former track riders? What does it add to a cyclist to be a track one?

R.I think it is hugely beneficial and gives you good top end speed and endurance. Some great riders are former trackies and many kept riding the track through their careers like McGee and O'Grady. I find it really beneficial

D.British Cycling is doing a great job in promoting Cycling in the UK, I am following the campaigns and I do think that the best way to create new cyclist it to make people to love commuting by bike safely. What do you think?

R.I think commuting is one element of it. What Sky and British Cycling are doing with Sky Ride is really inspirational and I think anything that encourages kids and families to get out on their bikes and have fun is a great thing. I was lucky enough to go to Sky Ride Manchester after the Tour this year and it really as incredible to see so many people out on their bikes and enjoying the day.

D.Italians are suffering from a lack of newbie of cycling, the "old school" of Pro Italian cyclists had a strong basis of amateurs in the past. Do you think that Sky Rides are the way to make young riders potential pro-cyclist making them to love the bike for a day? Is cycling something cool in the UK?

R.Cycling is definitely becoming cool. It has got so much more popular in the UK over the last few years and I think Sky Ride, Team SKy and the success of GB at the games all have a big part to play in that. Cycling really seems to have captured the public's imagination and I think that because it is a sport anyone can do at any time it is getting more and more popular.

D.London Olympic Games will be the Occasion for Europe to organize the best Event of the world. Do you think that Cycling will play a big role?

R.I hope so!

Special Thanx to Fran Millar (Press Office Team Sky)

Ph. Credits www.teamsky.com